Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I had finished The gods drink whiskey : stumbling toward enlightenment in the land of the tattered Buddha, which I had found by looking for a different book. Another book that I found at the same time, is called Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert.

This has been one of the books that I learn so much that I go around annoying everyone with factoids. The dust jacket says Gilbert "describes the foibles of imagination and illusions of foresight that cause each of us to misconceive our tomorrow and misestimate our satisfactions." This is better than any introduction I could give you. Gilbert has a wealth of information at his fingertips and he uses it all to teach and entertain us.

I have a habit of judging a book by the first sentence (although the cover is often a help) and Gilbert starts his foreword with this sentence, "What would you do right now if you learned that you were going to die in ten minutes." It got me hooked.

If you are interested in psychology, imagination, happiness or humor (Gilbert is very funny, I think) try this book.

Now I am off to try the third book with stumbling in the title: Stumbling and raging : more politically inspired fiction.

No comments: